Search
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cenvult  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 4, 2016 11:09:28 PM(UTC)
Cenvult

Hello!

Just a quick, simple question here. I currently have two starter sets and with them came two critical decks. Do I use a single critical deck during a single match (32 cards), or is it legal to play with a huge fat stack of 64?

Thanks in advance!
CommodoreDecker  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 4, 2016 11:54:08 PM(UTC)
CommodoreDecker

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Just one as far as I know. My starter only had one. We treat it like we do Attack Wing and X-wing and both players draw from a single crit deck for the match. Not sure of that's right but that's how we do it
thanks 1 user thanked CommodoreDecker for this useful post.
Cenvult on 8/5/2016(UTC)
Capt Platt  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 5, 2016 1:28:05 AM(UTC)
Capt Platt

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Cenvult Go to Quoted Post
Hello!

Just a quick, simple question here. I currently have two starter sets and with them came two critical decks. Do I use a single critical deck during a single match (32 cards), or is it legal to play with a huge fat stack of 64?

Thanks in advance!

One deck per game as I understand it!

There should be more than enough cards for standard 100 point games

However, I would say if your were playing a 300 point or more game, then introduce a second deck (one each) if you feel you may run low.

With the whole shuffling the cards back into the Deck, you should rarely run dry.
Cheltenham's Premier Tabletop Gaming Club

Pork Chop Gaming
thanks 1 user thanked Capt Platt for this useful post.
Cenvult on 8/5/2016(UTC)
Mrshep312  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 5, 2016 2:13:24 AM(UTC)
Mrshep312

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
To my understanding, and how I have played, One 32 card crit deck for one game. The rule book also mentions, all resolved crit cards get reshuffled back into the deck at end of command phase(?) beginning of next turn(?)

Also when our league plays X-wing, both players use their own crit deck, So I would gather that people might want to use their own crit deck when playing tanks. Each to a side.
thanks 1 user thanked Mrshep312 for this useful post.
Cenvult on 8/5/2016(UTC)
Cenvult  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 5, 2016 2:41:52 AM(UTC)
Cenvult

As I see it, the critical deck being doubled should make no difference (probability-wise). If I double the amount of critical cards, I double the amount of each single card in the critical deck. That way, the chance to receive a certain card remains the same. At least that's my line of reasoning.
I'd love to get a clarification, though.
CommodoreDecker  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 5, 2016 3:34:10 AM(UTC)
CommodoreDecker

Originally Posted by: Cenvult Go to Quoted Post
As I see it, the critical deck being doubled should make no difference (probability-wise). If I double the amount of critical cards, I double the amount of each single card in the critical deck. That way, the chance to receive a certain card remains the same. At least that's my line of reasoning.
I'd love to get a clarification, though.

Not to argue but I don't agree due to upgrade cards. If I pay points for an upgrade card that, say for example cancels engine fire, I take it understanding there are X number of the cards in the deck and then decide if it's worth the points, if you double X then you make the points paid for the card unbalanced. I'm sure it would have little impact on the game in all honesty, but I do believe it changes the math of the game overall, although it of course doesn't change the straight probability.
Carlson793  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 5, 2016 5:04:00 AM(UTC)
Carlson793

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 52 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Mrshep312 Go to Quoted Post
Also when our league plays X-wing, both players use their own crit deck, So I would gather that people might want to use their own crit deck when playing tanks. Each to a side.
While it's early days for Tanks, this has potential for abuse in a tournament scene.

Example: You bring a decent list and a standard crit deck, but I bring Assault Guns and a crit deck that's heavy with Jammed Turret cards. Now you're drawing Ammo Explosions and Lucky Hits, while I'm effectively downgrading your Critical Hits to Hits.

At least if both players are drawing off the same deck, the odds of drawing any card is equal for both players.
thanks 1 user thanked Carlson793 for this useful post.
Cenvult on 8/5/2016(UTC)
Cenvult  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 5, 2016 5:35:07 AM(UTC)
Cenvult

That's right - I'm not even counting 'custom' crit decks as a possibility. I am talking about normal 32-card critical card decks, with all cards designed by the creators in their respective numbers (or two sets) :)

Thanks to everyone that answered!

Edited by user Friday, August 5, 2016 5:58:17 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Oversight

Sean at TANKS HQ  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 5, 2016 8:50:20 AM(UTC)
Sean at TANKS HQ

Was thanked: 149 time(s) in 83 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Carlson793 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Mrshep312 Go to Quoted Post
While it's early days for Tanks, this has potential for abuse in a tournament scene.

Example: You bring a decent list and a standard crit deck, but I bring Assault Guns and a crit deck that's heavy with Jammed Turret cards. Now you're drawing Ammo Explosions and Lucky Hits, while I'm effectively downgrading your Critical Hits to Hits.

At least if both players are drawing off the same deck, the odds of drawing any card is equal for both players.

This is exactly why a shared deck, with the standard 32 cards, is a must for competitive play.
thanks 3 users thanked Sean at TANKS HQ for this useful post.
CommodoreDecker on 8/5/2016(UTC), Cenvult on 8/6/2016(UTC), yyctanksbrigade on 3/6/2017(UTC)
Cenvult  
#10 Posted : Saturday, August 6, 2016 7:22:12 AM(UTC)
Cenvult

Thanks HQ!
LordOfKhemri  
#11 Posted : Saturday, August 6, 2016 9:07:37 PM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 69 post(s)
I assume that if anyone pulled a stunt like bringing their own stacked crit deck then they would be thrown out of the competition in front of all the other players and instructed to never apply again?

This is a wonderful game but it's costing me an absolute fortune :)
I am even thinking of selling some of my Warhammer fantasy models to fund my tank addiction.
2 Dec 16, me to BF CustServ
Is there any news on my replacement replacement cards for the Achilles please?
6 May 18 no
Carlson793  
#12 Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2016 1:22:15 AM(UTC)
Carlson793

Was thanked: 65 time(s) in 52 post(s)
Originally Posted by: LordOfKhemri Go to Quoted Post
I am even thinking of selling some of my Warhammer fantasy models to fund my tank addiction.

You're coming out of Warhammer and this is costing you a fortune? I've spent less in three months on Tanks than I have on 40K, letting me field 7-8 tank platoons simultaneously (vs maybe 1 army with 40K).
CommodoreDecker  
#13 Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2016 1:26:06 AM(UTC)
CommodoreDecker

Originally Posted by: Carlson793 Go to Quoted Post

You're coming out of Warhammer and this is costing you a fortune? I've spent less in three months on Tanks than I have on 40K, letting me field 7-8 tank platoons simultaneously (vs maybe 1 army with 40K).

I agree, the relatively low cost (compared to the other mini games I play) was what first drew me in. I figured I'd try it due to price and then I loved it.
LordOfKhemri  
#14 Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2016 1:54:50 AM(UTC)
LordOfKhemri

Was thanked: 84 time(s) in 69 post(s)
Multiple 5 packs of flames of war tanks is proving my undoing as I "need" lots of everything. In a short space of time I have got a lot.
4 fantasy armies took a decade to accumulate but fortunately for me age of sigmarines (autocorrect did that, it's very astute) came out and stopped me dead on fantasy.

I am very impressed with the models and pricing and mostly the ability to have 2 different versions of a tank in one pack.
The op pack for hit the beach is outstanding.

For someone who thinks tanks are wonderful this is like crack :)
2 Dec 16, me to BF CustServ
Is there any news on my replacement replacement cards for the Achilles please?
6 May 18 no
CommodoreDecker  
#15 Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2016 2:54:24 AM(UTC)
CommodoreDecker

Multiple 5 packs of flames of war tanks is proving my undoing as I "need" lots of everything. In a short space of time I have got a lot.
4 fantasy armies took a decade to accumulate but fortunately for me age of sigmarines (autocorrect did that, it's very astute) came out and stopped me dead on fantasy.

I am very impressed with the models and pricing and mostly the ability to have 2 different versions of a tank in one pack.
The op pack for hit the beach is outstanding.

For someone who thinks tanks are wonderful this is like crack :)

Indeed, I've kept from buying more FoW stuff, waiting for the expansion releases, but either way I don't think it's a bad value. Around 10 dollars a tank no matter which way you go, with plenty of options as you mentioned. For $100 dollars you have a solid force that gives you multiple squad options. 100 bucks in 40K pretty much let's you watch others play lol